Sunday, June 14, 2015

Jaded: Chapter 7

"You're going to a benefit?!" Tess asks.

"Yup."

"Lizzie, you should be more excited." Bianca says.

"I am excited."

"Are you worried about formal dancing?" Rizalyn asks.

"No. I know how to waltz. I'll just follow the lead for the other dances."

"Did you go dress shopping?" Mikayla asks.

"No." I say and Jenn says, "Yes."

"Which is it?" Bianca asks.

"A shop brought their gowns to the house." Jenn says.

"No way." Tess says.

"Yes way. It was the coolest thing ever."

"It was strange." I say. "We were sitting on the couch while all the saleswomen brough in racks of gowns."

And Belle left with me alone with Jenn and Delilah. I couldn't enter their world of enthusiasm.

"But you still found a dress." Jenn says.

"Yes. I did still find a beautiful gown."

"Details please." Mikalya says.

"It's electric blue, strapless with flounces starting from the waist."

"Floor length?" Bianca asks.

"Of course."

Everyone laughs.

"Delilah asked for a matching tie and pocket square."

Jenn would mention that.

"For who?" Tess asks.

"For Finn."

"Lizzie, you have another supporter." Mikalya says.

"Yay." I deadpan.

"Why do you guys want them to be together?" Rizalyn asks.

"You haven't seen the beauty that is the two of them. I only got a glimpse last year. The only ones who truly know are Finn and Lizzie." Tess replies.

"Spare me. I get enough that daily."

"The girls here also want them to happen." Jenn explains.

"See? It's undeniable." Bianca says.

I start pacing.

"Anyway, I have to tell you about my dress. It's beige and empire waist. I bought the cutest shoes for it."

"Why didn't you get a bright dress like Lizzie?" Rizalyn asks.

"It was my favorite. Besides, Lizzie's the Belle of the Ball. Not really, because Belle will be there." Jenn says, putting a hand on my arm.

Everyone laughs and I stop fidgeting. I smile at her.

Tess asks about her shoes.

----- ----- -----

I step into the house.

"You said we'd do it in the spring. Closer to the date." A man's voice says.

"We thought this would be better." Belle replies.

"And neither of you told us." Another man's voice comes. "You don't have to look at her, Belle. I know it was her idea."

I look at the study group. Jenn shrugs.

"And I stand by it." Delilah says.

"I know you do. I can't believe you. And I can't believe Belle let you get away with it. Arthur and I were supposed to be here." The second voice says.

"Caleb, calm down." The first man says.

"Caleb?" I mouth to Jenn. She shrugs again.

I motion for the group to go up quietly. And then the door closes again.

And the study slams open.

"Finn?" Arthur says. "And 6 young ladies."

His eyes stop on me. Awkward.

"Hi. My name is Elizabeth Gent. I didn't know anyone would be home." I say, coming off the step.

"Hi, Lizzie. I'm Arthur Simms."

"Delilah left." Caleb Simms say.

Then, he stops and looks at me. How does he know to look at me? This is becoming too much.

"Hi, Lizzie. You probably know who I am. But for introductions sake, Caleb Simms at your service." He says, bowing.

I smile weakly and curtsy in reply.

"Nice to meet you. We can go to the public library." I say, looking at my group.

"Hey, guys." Caleb says, waving. "I don't know you."

"Jennifer Bertram. I came with Lizzie."

"Nice to meet you." He says, smiling.

"We'll get out of your way. You probably want to unpack."

"You guys should stay. Use the library here. It's almost as extensive as a real library." Arthur says.

"I see you've meet my brothers." Belle says coming into the foyer. "Go ahead and study. Dinner will be at 7 and everyone's invited."

"Pleasure meeting you, Liz." Arthur says, leading Caleb away.

I follow the group to the library.

"Was it just me or was that really weird?" I ask closing the door.

"It wasn't just you. The brothers weren't themselves." Mandy says, confused.

"I've never seen them fight. But I guess all siblings must." Chloe comments.

"Caleb and Delilah have always had sibling tension. I think it's because Caleb was the youngest for a while. I'm sure everything will be alright." Finn says.

"Yeah. I guess we should study."

We split into two groups, sophomores and seniors.

"So are you ready for the ball?" Allison asks, stretching.

"It's a benefit not a ball." I say. "I'm not Cinderella."

"It's your social debut."

I laugh.

"I suppose. I mean I'm not going to make that much of a difference."

"Everyone's going to want to meet you." Chloe says.

"Why?" I ask confused.

"When everyone finds out you're staying with the Simms, you'll be the main topic." Finn says.

He sounds sullen.

"So, like I said it's your social debut." Allison emphasizes.

"Fine, we'll call it that. I'm ready. We're getting our hair, nails, and makeup done."

"We're spending all day with Belle and Delilah." Jenn says, as the door opens. "It going to to be so much fun."

"I'm glad you feel that way. It's dinner time." Belle says.

I pack up so I'm the last out.

"Delilah's not joining us." Arthur says, when I look around the table.

I nod and sit down.

"Do you still have studying to do?" Caleb asks.

"Not today. We got most of it done. Lizzie's an ace." Allison says.

"She helped us at the same time." Nicole says.

"That's impressive." Arthur says and I shake my head. "No, really. I remember doing home work into Sunday night."

"And mom wasn't sure about sending us there. She thought the class load had gotten crazy." Caleb says.

There's a pause.

"Until she realized Arthur wasn't starting until Sunday morning. I'm glad I got to go. I always wanted to be an Alden girl." Belle explains.

"So buddy how have these girls been treating you?" Caleb asks Finn.

Buddy?

"It's been cool. Today was the first time we talked about clothes or anything. I blame the benefit."

"We talked about it for a moment." Chloe says, exasperated. "Why do guys act like all 'girly conversations' last forever?"

"Becasue it's fun to get this reaction." Finn smirks.

"What are you wearing, Finn?" Arthur asks.

"I don't know. My mom wanted to set it up."

He doesn't know?

I look at Belle. She smiles back, complacent. I feel like it was Delilah's idea.

"And you let her? You're such a good son." Caleb says.

"If she cares that much, then that's more important." Finn replies.

That's really sweet. I don't think I could do it. But it's still sweet.

"Since you don't have homework, how about we watch a movie?" Arthur asks.

Finn and I meet eyes. He has more homework than us.

"Sounds good." He says, still looking at me.

"And girls, you can sleep over tonight. Stephan can pick up anything you need." Belle says.

"Cool." Mandy says.

"I'll find out what time my mom wants me home tomorrow. I can take everyone back to the academy in the morning." Chloe offers.

And that's how I ended up hosting a sleepover.

----- ----- -----

Lindsay: Send me a picture when you and Jenn are all put together.

Allison: send me a pic.

This is why they're my best friends.

Jenn comes out of our room.

"Can you take a picture of us, Lucy?" I ask the head maid.

"Yes." She says.

She takes the picture and walks away quickly.

"Lucy doesn't talk very much."

"She talks to me sometimes. But maybe she's just really focused on working." Jenn says.

"That could be it." I say sending the picture.

Lindsay: Beautiful. Don't fall in those shoes. And have fun.

Me: Thanks. Have a good time at lunch. Tell me if there's any cute freshmen.

Lindsay: At the academy? Creepy.

Me: At Northwestern. You crazy.

Lindsay: I know. And I'm not going to tell you. You already have someone.

Me: We're not together.

Lindsay: You might as well be. Tess and Rizalyn are telling me to get ready.

Me: Rizalyn is excited to go?

Lindsay: She's antsy from nerves. Anyway, have a good time.

Me: Bye.

"Ready, Lizzie?" Jenn asks, picking up her clutch.

"Yep." I say, glancing at the mirror. "I mean, yes."

"We don't need to be proper until we get there."

"Lizzie, Jenn?" Belle calls up.

We leave the room and walk down the stairs.

Delilah gasps and I look up. Finn and the brothers are staring at me. Belle is … dabbing her eyes! Why?

"Jennifer, you look beautiful." Arthur says, assisting her down.

"Eliza, you okay?" Finn whispers.

"I don't understand everyone's reactions."

"Simple. You look gorgeous."

"Thank you."

I still think everyone's being too much. But when a guy says that, how do you think of anything else?

"Picture time." Michelle says.

"Where did she come from?" I ask Finn.

"Who knows."

We all pose for a picture.

"We'll meet you there." Caleb says.

"Girls, save me a dance." Arthur says.

The Simms leave.

Michelle takes pictures of the three of us.

"Now, just Finn and Lizzie."

"Good idea, Jenn." Michelle says, emphatically.

Subtle.

"Did you know about this?" Finn asks through his smile.

"No, I promise."

"I meant the blue tie. We're matching."

"I did. I didn't know it was a surprise until yesterday. Sorry."

"It's fine. Let's just appease them." He putting his arm around my shoulders.

I smile as the camera snaps a few more times.

"I think we're good mater. We're going to be late."

"Okay, thank you. See you there."

"Drive safe." Finn says, helping Jenn put her coat on.

"You too."

We get in the car as his parents drive off.

"Which fork do you use first?'

"It's the salad fork." I say. "She's nervous about dinner. Belle taught us everything quickly."

"Finn, do you know formal silverware?"

"Yes."

"Of course. Lizzie picked it up immediately like always. I'm going to be the only one to mess up."

"Jenn, you'll be fine." I say.

"And if you do mess up, Lizzie and I will too."

I smile at him and he smiles back.

"You guys rock. Okay, now we need music." She says, grabbing the phone hook up.

We talk and listen to music all the way there.

----- ----- -----

There are coat attendants. Good and proper coat attendants.

"Don't forget your ticket, Jenn." Finn says, handing it to her.

"Elizabeth Gent." I tell the hostess.

"Yes. Guest of the Simms. Party of three. Table 2."

"Thank you." I say, smiling and looking for our table.

"This way." Finn says, putting his hand on my back. “The higher the number, the closer to the stage."

"Good to have an expert around."

"I've only been to a couple of these. And they weren't happy occasions."

"Oh."

"Hi, Lizzie."Chloe says. "Looks like you're the completion of our table."

"So you're the young ladies staying with the Simms. George, help them sit down."

Finn scoots me in and George helps Jenn.

"Mom and dad, you know Finn. This is Lizzie and her sister Jennifer. Girls, this is my twin brother, George."

"Hi, guys. Jenn, you look amazing." Lynn says, standing behind George.

"Your brother's sitting there now, dear. Sit next to your father."

"But…"

Mr. Lucas looks at her.

"Fine, we’ll just talk around George."

"Dancing will commence in 10 minutes."

"I'm going to talk to my father." Finn whispers to me. "Excuse me, Mr. & Mrs. Lucas."

"Jenn, would you like a drink?" George asks. "Lizzie?"

Lynn and Chloe look at each other.

"Yes, please." Jenn says and I nod.

He motions someone over and picks up two ciders.

I talk to Chloe and her parents until the first song. George asks Jenn to dance.

"Elizabeth Gent. I've heard so much about you." A woman says.

"Good or bad?" I joke and she doesn't laugh.

"Anyhow Charles," She motions for a young man. "Charles, this is Elizabeth Gent."

"Hello, Miss Gent. Would you care to dance?"

"Yes."

He leads me to the dance floor. We wait for an open space to join in.

I try to follow his lead but he messes up on the third rotation. I might be wrong so I ignore that thought.

"What do you do for work, Miss Gent?"

"I'm a high school student."

His mom may have heard of me but he hasn't.

"Oh. I'm in my freshman year at Harvard Law."

That means he's at least 5 years older than me.

"What do you think of the new courses in international and comparative law?"

"I think, well it provides a better education than before."

"What elective did you choose?" I ask.

"Are you thinking of going into law? Why are you asking so many questions?"

Because it’s polite.

"I'm not going to be a lawyer. I just read a lot of academic journals."

"I graduated 7th in my Academy class. What are you?"

"Last year, I was 3rd but only by 4 points."

Charles' face sours.

"I prefer not to talk about work at events."

I'm tempted to roll my eyes but that's not acceptable. I catch Finn’s eye. He sends me a confused look.

"The girl with you is your sister, correct?"

"Yes. Her name is Jennifer."

"You look nothing alike. She has black hair and brown eyes while you have blonde hair and blue eyes. Your face shape and body types are different as well. Different fathers?"

I can't even tell if he's trying to imply anything or if he's just nosy.

"We're not blood sisters."

"So she's adopted? Or were you adopted first?"

"Neither. We decided we were sisters. Jenn and I, no parents involved."

He looks at me confused so I change the topic.

"What do you do for fun?"

"Snowboard, surf anything that requires travel. My friends and I hate going to the same place or doing something basic. Like last year, we went snowboarding in Keystone but that's still in America. So this year, we went to Les Contamines, France and each got their own cabin."

That doesn't even sound fun.

"That's interesting."

"You'd love it. This winter we'll make it more expensive. I'll add you to the list."

"It's okay. It's not really my scene." I say as the music ends.

"Nice dancing with you." He says and walks away.

I go back to my table. I'm waiting with the Lucases for three songs before another young man asks me to dance.

I dance four more times in over an hour. My partners don't get worse. But they don't get better either. They make it obvious their parents made them ask me or they just think I'm pretty.

I sit down and try not to slouch. I see Jenn dancing with George for the fifth time. They have changed partners but keep making their way back to each other.

"Last dance before dinner."

I haven’t seen the Simms since they made a brief entrance. I look for them. Instead, I look in the spot I was avoiding. Finn is against a wall, glaring at the room at large.

"Elizabeth Gent?"

"Lizzie." I correct, again.

"Yeah well. I'm Cameron. Can we dance?"

Finn comes to my side.

"Chloe, would you like to dance?"

Chloe looks at me.

"Yes. I'll dance with you." I tell the kid in front of me.

He takes my hand and leads me to the floor.

I see Finn and Chloe come to the floor.

"How old are you?" I ask.

"I'll be 15 next month."

He's closer to my age but whoever sent him is just as misguided as Charles' mother.

"Who told you to dance with me?"

"My dad. He said he needs the Simms to like us."

"Next time your dad sends you to make a business deal, don't answer the key person with yeah well. Politeness goes a long way."

"But I don't want to dance with you. I want to dance with Miranda."

And I want to dance with Finn. I look over Cameron's shoulder to see Finn glaring in my direction. At me or the kid it doesn't matter. It's not acceptable.

"Tell you what. If you can get even less people to dance with me, I'll put in a good word about your parents. You just have to promise me one other thing."

"Alright." He says, warily.

"You'll ask Miranda to dance three non consecutive times after dinner. She may say no because she's shy, her parents tell her to, or because she doesn't want to dance you. You have to stop at three so you don't pester her."

Cameron smiles.

"I can do that."

We talk comfortably after that.

"Lizzie." Jenn says, taking my hand.

"Having fun?"

"Tons. I've messed up on dances. But everyone's been nice about it."

"Especially George?" I whisper.

"Yeah, he's nice." She responds.

She's not sold?

Finn scoots me in and sits down.

"You're lovely dancers." Mrs. Lucas says.

"Thank you." I reply.

"I can't believe the Ridgewoods sent Cameron to dance with you." Chloe says.

"I know. But he's adorable."

"He is. He's been in love with Miranda Adams since they were in elementary."

"And Miranda?"

"Same but she's really shy."

"But he seems shy."

"Nah, he's just really obedient. Dating isn't his family's plan right now."

"Well, I told him to dance with her. A couple dances isn't going to hurt."

"You guys do realize they're not even 15, right? They don't need people cheering them on." Finn says.

"Of course they don't. It's just good to see. And they can use a little push." I reply.

The salad comes. I poke Jenn and she smiles.

The Lucases ask us questions and make an effort to get to know us. The soup and main course are delicious. Lynn keeps looking at George. Chloe keeps looking at Finn and I. Fun and awkward. It should become my slogan.

"Mr. Arthur Simms has some words to say."

Dessert comes while he's going to the stage. It's a chocolate and fruit masterpiece.

"Hello and thank you for joining us tonight. My siblings and I appreciate your support. It’s been 10 years since Belle and I started managing the company. To commemorate, we have taken on a ward. Elizabeth Gent is now under the protection of the Peyton Empire."

The spotlight hits me. And I stand up in surprise.

I'm what?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment