Monday, May 1, 2023

Random thoughts on my cult upbringing

 1) Just went shopping for the bubs birthday tomorrow. The fact that we weren't going to get them anything 😬😬 speaks to being raised in a cult.


I have yet to receive a birthday present. But better for the next generation!


There's a party on their birthday tomorrow but it's for their friend. Hopefully we can make the time after the party special for them.



2) I'm on volume 3 of my 5 volume series about being trans/gay/queer and raised a witness.


Someone read a chapter where one of the triplets, Jain, learns about Spock/Kirk fanfiction, tells her trans boyfriend about a Vulcan kiss they can do at school without getting in trouble with one of her triplet sisters, and his brother outs them as a couple to their friends, in a nice way. And everyone pretty much says, if it's a secret, why tell us but we'll hide it.


The person who read it told me they cried and they wanted to read more. The goal of the chapter was definitely not to male people cry. But it was nice to see them relate to it so much.


3) Thanks. I was raised in a cult. There wasn't much I would have been encouraged to read. So I started writing at 14 for young people to have "safe" things to read.


I wrote 3 books but only ever felt connected to 1 character in all of them. When I escaped, I decided to take all my stories and do a "Make It Queer" series.


Now I feel connected to my characters.


4) Considering I was barely allowed to wear miniskirts at home when I got into Star Trek at 12, I thought it was highly feminist and daring.


5) I have BPD, ADD, and Autism. I think it's trauma from being bullied by my siblings up to 16 years older than me and having to limit my needs from my mom dying for 4 years. Then escaping the cult proved to me that no one lasts forever.


6) Also in the Bible Belt. Yesterday I went to a birthday party possibly at a house I knocked on for th ministry when I was in. The house next door for sure. But the house I was in felt familiar too.


I was like JWs would call me pagan for being at my first birthday party ever. AND it's a house I tried to convert? Awesome!


7) I'm sorry to hear that. The one time me and my bestie wrestled, like legit wrestled no homosexual undertones, we were caught. And my aunt told her dad we needed to always be under adult supervision. He thought that was pathetic and didn't do so. Like how could he when we had sleepovers?


8) 3 sisters in the neighboring congregation for our double hall pressured me to medicate my little one. Said Jehovah would like me to stay at meeting and they do it all the time.


I never took them back. I went like 3 more times. My best friend/roommate 2 more times after me. And then after 2 months, I told her I wasn't going back. She said she had a boyfriend. I worried that we would stop talking and need to find new places to live. She said it wasn't a witness and she'd kept it secret from me, fearing I'd judge her.


Sooooo glad my little one didn't have any effects from mixed meds. Sooooo annoyed I didn't even know their names but gave in. But also grateful their actions had the opposite result of their intent.


9) Hahaha 


After 3 years put, I still sing the line "Stay Awake, Stand Firm, Grow Mighty" whenever I get really tired while doing something I need to do. Like I conditioned myself to do at meeting.


I still fell asleep at meetings. Now I laugh so hard, I wake up.


10) I asked my brother if "forgetting our cult upbringing, would our parents be disappointed that you are socially a boy, after trying for a decade for a girl? Even considering they got 1.3 girls after that."


He laughed and said if he "came out at 3 maybe as our middle sister was only 1 at the time and Rina wasn't born yet. But mostly they would be confused as it was the 90s and our parents were born in late 50s."


No comments:

Post a Comment