Saturday, October 4, 2014

Sense and Sensibility Part 1

Marianne - 16 year old who shouldn't be out. When did she even come out? She needs to be realistic. But it's hard to imagine how she could be realistic when she was at home surrounded by good hearted people. If she's forced to see the real world at some point, that's the period the book covers.

Elinor - How is Elinor so mature and aware? She's barely 19 when the book starts. She was raised in the same environment as Marianne. All I can guess is that she learned about showing too much from stories. and straight up personality differences.

Mrs. Dashwood - To me she's the real negative in the book. Many wouldn't agree with me because she's the good hearted poor widow taking care of three daughters without a hope. However, she never listens to her oldest daughter even though she acknowledges her wisdom. She encourages her carbon copy and never corrects bad behavior, thinking it's the fun of being young. Her youngest is beginning to follow in her wild sister's footsteps. She's, arguably, the catalyst for all that goes wrong in the book.

Margaret - Honestly as Jane Austen's only prominent child, she talks too much. Children were to be seen, not heard in this time period. Instead Margaret is the cause of a major discovery and Elinor's storyline in the second half of the book.

Mr. Ferrars - He loves deeply. I don't love him. I admire their relationship. But, and maybe this is because I'm not a 18th century gentleman, I don't understand sticking to duty when it's going to hurt at least three people, if not more.

Colonel Brandon - I'll admit he creeps me out a little bit. The fact that he is in love with a girl more than half his age because she reminds him of a dead love is not lost on me. That said, I believe that when one love is gone, you are natural drawn to people who have positive similarities. Queue, Someone like You by Adele.

Mr. Willoughby - I can't say much, in case someone is going to read it for the first time with me, but I'm not in the same boat as most.

Mr. & Mrs. Palmer - Love them. I don't want their relationship but they are great comic relief.

Sir John and Lady Middleton - Sir John gets on my nerves but he's good hearted so ... I wish Lady Middleton and her brood of children would disappear. I suppose they must exist because otherwise Sir John would have marry the widowed Mrs. Dashwood because she's beautiful and they're distant enough. And then the Dashwoods wouldn't have money trouble and there'd be no story.

Mrs. Jennings - Like her. Good hearted comedienne. But I will never forgive her for almost ruining my girls lives.

Mr. & Younger Mrs. Dashwood - Hate them!!!!! The most obvious villains in the book. Mrs. Ferrars Dashwood is a vampy gold digger with no human feelings. Mr. Dashwood is a spineless fool who can't stand for what he believes in against his wife, and in a 100% patrichial society. Also Henry should disappear, but again possibly no story.

Mr. Henry Dashwood - Well, you're not alive but you shouldn't trust people so much.

Uncle Dashwood - Sold out your family for a child who doesn't need anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment